Friday, September 29, 2006

Week 2 in Geneva, September 25-29, 2006

Steve here again, reporting for Action Flash News.

It was a really pleasant week, sun shone with regularity and the temperature was very mild. We spent the week making various interview arrangements, and in our free time took in a few more of the sights.

On the museum front, we hit up the Patek Phillipe Museum exhibit on 500 years of watchmaking (riveting as a Joan Collins novel, I swear) and the Museum of the Protestant Reformation (a good deal of dark clothing, hellfire and brimstone). Good to know the history of the city, but not entirely bloggable (don’t let me stop you from checking out the websites though:

Patek Phillipe

Museum of the Reformation


Jaren here, for a brief addition to Steve's week in review. On Wednesday, September 27th, it was Steve's (golden) birthday! (For those who don't know about the "golden birthday", it is on the day of the age you're turning. Steve was turning 27, and his birthday is on the 27th.) He opted to spend the day laying low and enjoying the city because he was preparing himself for his big interview the next day--more details to come. I made him Swiss-style chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. For dinner I took him to Ghandi, the Indian restaurant that our window overlooks, complements of Ann and Greg. Our meal was delicious and service was great too, up until dessert. We completed our entres and expected dessert to arrive shortly thereafter, but 2 hrs and 45 mins later (after asking 2 waiters) only 1 dessert came to the table. By this point, we didn't care and we shared the Indian delicacy and paid. It wasn't until after we paid our second dessert arrived. Regardless, I hope Steve enjoyed his day! I think he did.


As alluded to before, both Jaren and I had job interviews last week. Mine was Thursday morning with one of the global PR firms here. The interview went well and I got an offer to start with some freelance work (of which there is essentially a full time position's worth), and segue into a full time position and certain pieces of business grow.

That said, the woman I interviewed with recommended I speak with some of the other agencies in town first before accepting - its a pretty tight, less competitive community here compared to NYC. Very good meeting though.


Jaren here again to update everyone on my "interview". I emphasize the "interview" because, well, I only had a phone interview. I had scheduled an interview for Friday morning, but after recieving a phone call an hour before and Mina, the Director, could not meet with me becuase another meeting she completely forgot about conflicted, she decided to just have it over the phone. Long story short, I got the job! YEAH! I start late this week. I am considered a "consultant" bureaucratically, but will be functioning as a Research Assistant to a small programme coordinated by UNDP and UNAIDS called AMICAALL - The Alliance of Mayors Initiative for Community Action on AIDS at the Local Level. For more info, click HERE. I am excited for this position because it will be the perfect segue into my role in the Peace Corps.

It was a great week for both Steve and I. To celebrate, we were off to Munich....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Félicitations!!! Bien fait mes amis!!!