Sunday, November 05, 2006

ING New York City Marathon--November 5, 2006

At 5:30am, I met Erin and Heather (Erin's friend) to catch a cab down to the official marathon bus. We arrived near the NYC Public Library and the streets were packed with marathon runners catching the same buses. Volunteers herded us like cattle onto the buses.

Not before long we were on the Verenazzo Bridge approaching Staten Island and the Marathon starting line. We disembarked and proceeded to the "warm up area" where there were hundreds of port-o-potties, water bottles and people. There was a stage set up with live music to get the runner pumped up and a jumbotran so we could view the live coverage.

3 hours later, we walked to the start line up the ramp of the Verenazzo Bridge. We stripped from our "throw away sweats"--Thanks Jadyn--and lined up. Our hearts started pumping as did our adrenaline levels. We heard the NYC Broadway cast of Jersey Boys sing the Star Spangled Banner. Introductions of the elite men were made. Lance Armstrong and posse were briefly interviewed. And then before we knew it, the gun went off. The race (finally) started.



Without any sleep, questions started running through my head: Would I have the energy to run this WHOLE thing? Would all my hard work training pay off? What if, what if, what if...

Before I could think anymore negative thoughts, I was in the middle of the bridge (mile 1 down, 25.2 to go) and saw the New York skyline off in the misty distance. I saw my end goal and I knew what I had to do to get there.

After the bridge, I entered Brooklyn. I ran through Bay Bridge, Clinton Hill, and Williamsburg. Most of the race was in Brooklyn (roughly 11 miles) where I passed ethnic Polish, German and Jewish neighborhoods.

The spectators were amazing. They kept cheering everyone on. Before I even realized, the New York skyline was getting closer and closer. I turned a corner (roughly mile 9) and saw the familiar midtown sky rises ...the end was near.

Entering Queens, I realized I was half way done. The Brooklyn-Queens Bridge was mile 13-14. Mile 15 was the start of the 59th Street Bridge and from there, I would be in my old hood.

While running in Queens, I grabbed a few snacks from spectators; I was starving (keep in mind I ate breakfast at 6am and it was now roughly 12:30pm). I picked up orange slices, pretzels and gum.

I was warned the 59th Street Bridge was the killer for most people because the of the lack of cheering and the steady incline. Honestly, I didn’t have a problem with the bridge. I thought it was rather easy. And the view was quite nice too (even though we were on the bottom).

As I was running for 3 hours, the troops were staking their claim on First Avenue, roughly between 90th and 91st streets on the West side of the street at Bar East.

Here are Jadyn and Steve near mile marker 18.

Get your posters ready....

Mile Marker 18--90th & 1st. The Elite Runners. Middle of the Pack

















I just came off the 59th Street Bridge (aka Queensborough Bridge) and entered Manhattan. I was feeling great. I was on my turf now. I ran up First Ave and I knew what to expect and what was coming up (landmark bars, restaurants, friend's apartment complexes, etc). And before I knew it, I passed mile 17 (the mile marker was no where to be found) and just a few more blocks I'd see my entourage. As I approached 89th, I fleck of glitter hit my eye--it was from the glitter on the posters--and there was my family and friends. It was great to see familiar faces...

SIDE NOTE: Before the race, I gave my troops explicit directions to have the following items at the ready: bananas, chapstick, gum.

I saw my entourage and all I wanted was my banana. At this point, I felt like I had just ran the last 10 miles on an empty stomach and I needed a recharge. The banana was my solution.

Annie wasn't quick enough with her camera and the only picture she took of me was this one. I'm yelling to my dad, "Where's my banana?". I was on a roll...I didn't want to stop. I jogged in place, grabbed my banana and I was on my way.







I left my troops energized. I made it through my old neighborhood--I ran through streets I often saw crowded with cars, trucks and buses. I made it beyond 96th street; I was in Harlem. I knew I only had to go as high as 137th street before heading to the finish line.

The last 40 blocks flew by. I crossed bridge into the Brox. There were few spectators, but enough to keep us going. (Most were coming out of church, I think--"praise the lord"). Mile 20-21 were in the Brox. The rest would be back in the UES. I crossed the Madison Street Bridge. I headed back down the street blocks 125..120...110. I'm at the park!

Mile marker 23. "I'm almost there," I kept thinking. On 5th Ave and the crowds were going insane! There were so many people packed on the sidwalks it was awesome! I make it to 91st; Engineers Gate. I made it to the park.

Home stretch.

The MET. Cougar Hill (going down for once). The 72nd street entrance. The place where the Summer Series Concerts are held (I forgot the name). Poets Walk. I spell the horse poo (from the carriage rides).

Out of the park now on Central Park South, 1 mile was left. I pass the Plaza. The Park is on my left; Columbus Circle straight ahead. I kept going...I am in Columbus Circle. I'm back in the park. 800 meters to go!

I climb the gradual hill to the finish. Stands of people were on either side. I felt good. NO, I FELT GREAT! Before I knew it, I crossed the finish line!

My Ofiicial time: 4:12:01!

(Look for the girl in green--that's me, I promise)






I was greeted by my parents, Jadyn and Steve at the "family reunion" site. They were all so proud of me and frankly I was proud of myself!

This was definitely an experience of a lifetime!

3 comments:

Marie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm so proud of you!! Very, very awesome!!!
Marie :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Jaren! That is an amazing accomplishment!

Anonymous said...

I am very very very very very proud of you!!! Now you can retire and feel like you've accomplished something!! PLUS: what a great time!!!!
Honestly congrats! (all of that goes to Steve) (just kidding) (okay, Steve, you did a great job too) You are both great!!!!
I know, I should call soon. I should get a land line next week.
Laure