Saturday, October 28, 2006

Engagement Party in Syracuse--October 28,2006

When we first booked our tickets back in July, the frequent flier restrictions required us to use our return tickets by the October 26th, otherwise we would have to forfeit them. Knowing we'd have to go home for the marathon on November 5, we were left with no choice but to spend 10 days back Stateside.

While not ideal, my mother decided it would be as good a time as any for an engagement party in Syracuse, an opportunity to celebrate with a bunch of people I grew up with.

As another little perk, my Uncle Richard (or Rick, depending on who you ask) would be in Rhode Island for business through the end of that week, and was able to make the short drive. It was really nice to see him again as it had been well over a year, and its always fun to see him keep my Gram and Dad on their toes.

Here's Richard pestering Gram over lunch at the Original Dinosaur BBQ:


The party set up was very nice. Vinnie, son of Jean (who works in my parents office) did the spread. In addition to his appetizers and deserts, Jaren and I smuggled back 5 different types of local Swiss cheese and roughly 7 pounds of Swiss chocolate (including a sugar free bar for Gram, of which she was most appreciative). The chocolate was then melted down and put into a fountain, and we proceeded to dip everything imaginable (fruit, cookies, muffins, spoons) into it.


The party itself was a whirlwind. Most of the guests were neighbors, friends of my folks and people from the synagogue (and in most cases, those groups overlapped). It was great to see so many folks I hadn't seen in years, in some cases approaching a decade. By the end, it started to feel like a press junket, with everyone wanting answers to the same three questions:

So tell me about the wedding?

So tell me about Switzerland?

So tell me about Africa?

It went by very quickly, and we were pretty wiped out after wards. To cool down, we decided to eat a bunch more, which became a running theme for the rest of the Syracuse time.

No comments: